Feb 29, 2016

How can I possibly work Orange Essential Oil into my cooking?

Dear Oily,

I love all the citrus oils. I put Lemon Essential Oil in my Ningxia Red, I take Grapefruit Essential Oil in a capsule daily, and I diffuse Citrus Fresh like it is going out of style. But my favorite citrus essential oil has got to be Orange! Yum!

I want to cook with my Orange Essential Oil but don’t know where to start. I love a drop in my Chamomile tea but I haven’t moved beyond the beverage stage of cooking with EOs.

When searching online, I’m just finding complicated recipes. Do you know any simple recipes using Orange Essential Oil that will not have me running for the hills?

Signed,

Orange you glad I asked?


Dear Orange,

Ask Oily here! I’m going to let my good friend Darlene from Sitting for Carrots answer this one. She’s awesome at using essential oils for cooking. While she answers your question, I am going to take a nap. Cold and flu season has totally caught up with me!

Darlene says: You have no idea how happy this question makes me! I too am obsessed with Young Living Orange Essential Oil!

I totally understand where you are, trying to crossover to actually cooking with oils and graduating from the “I put them in my beverages sometimes” phase. Even though I love to cook I was in this beverage phase for almost a year!

I’ve got THREE super simple recipes that will knock your socks off and impress family and friends!


Making a simple vinaigrette with a citrus essential oil is a fantastic way to start. It is one of the first things I made and it was a hit! That gave me the confidence to try essential oils in more recipes!

This is my go-to dressing and I love that if I am in the mood for Lemon, Lime or even Grapefruit I can switch out the essential oil! Easy Peasy!

Citrusy Orange Vinaigrette

Ingredients:

  • 4 TBLS Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 TBLS Sugar (optional)
  • 2 cloves garlic crushed or a tsp of jarred crushed garlic
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 3 drops Young Living Orange Essential Oil

Directions:

Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and mix until combined or put in a bowl and whisk rapidly until combined. I love this dressing paired with a nice garden salad or Asian salad but use your imagination!



Who wants chocolate?! Everyone. ALL. THE. TIME! What better way to use your Orange Essential Oil than in BROWNIES? If you are hesitant about mixing fruit with chocolate, I’m telling you that the combination of chocolate with orange is nothing short of magical!

This is how easy this recipe is: You can take your favorite scratch made brownie recipe and add 3-6 drops of Orange Essential Oil to the batter OR do what I do.

Orange Brownies

Preheat oven to the temp according to the directions on the box. (hint, hint)

Ingredients:

  • 1 Box Organic Brownie Mix
  • 3-6 drops Young Living Orange Essential Oil (I use 5-6 and it is a very balanced flavor)

Tip: Citrus oils are quite thin so they tend to pour a bit faster so aim for 1 drop less than what you think you need. 1 drop less is not a big deal but one drop more could be a bit much. Remember these oils are very concentrated so you get a ton of flavor in one drop.

Directions:

Make brownie batter according to the directions on the box. Add your drops of the Orange Essential Oil and mix well.

Cook according to the directions on the box. Seems too easy to be true right but it is truly one of my favorite baking hacks!

Orange Essential Oil is supportive to the Digestive System and our Immune System so if anyone asks you why you’re eating so many brownies you can simply tell them, “I’m supporting my body you fool!”



You may need a glaze for your brownies and I have a super straightforward recipe you can use!

Basic Vanilla Orange Glaze

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 TBLS whole milk, almond milk or milk of your choice
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 drop Young Living Orange Essential Oil
  • 1 tsp orange zest (optional)

Directions:

Add all ingredients to the bowl and whisk lightly until combined. Pour over your brownies or anything else your little heart desires! Or if you add a bit more liquid you can DIP all the things! You decide!



I figured I would end on a quote because I do love a great quote!

“I feel a little dizzy," said Orion. "But also wonderfully elated. I feel that I am on the verge of finding a rhyme for the word orange."
-Eoin Colfer, The Atlantis Complex